St Boniface Vets are planning a 2 day course in cattle foot trimming, suitable for complete beginners or those wanting a detailed refresher.
The course will run from 10.30am to 3pm on 23rd & 24th January, here at the surgery in Crediton, with lunch provided.
Places are limited, to ensure a high quality personal delivery, so please let us know if you are interested to avoid disappointment.
We will also be offering a unique one-to-one follow up session, on your farm, a few weeks later to refresh elements of the course and allow you to ask further questions after trimming your own cattle again.
This is all included in the course fee of £350+VAT.
After completing the course you will be confident in the theory and practical elements of:
- The basic functional anatomy of a cow's feet and what can go wrong causing lameness
- Understanding hoof horn overgrowth and the need for trimming
- The correct application of the Dutch 5 Step Method of functional and correctional trimming
- The safe restraint of cows for trimming and appropriate use of equipment such as knives and powered trimming tools
- Recognising the early signs of lameness and how to make effective interventions for better cure rates
- Understand how the level of lameness in your herd can be measured and improved with Mobility Scoring
- Recognising the common lesions affecting the foot and how to treat them
- The correct application of foot blocks and pros/cons of what is available in the marketplace
- The appropriate use of veterinary authorised treatments and when to call the vet for further advice
Lameness is a challenge to all cattle herds with a large economic impact, early intervention on a single sole ulcer will save £300-500 in potential lost production and culling risk.
Investing in this course will make your herd more profitable.
Call the surgery now, to register your interest - 01363 772860.
You will need to bring your own trimming equipment and clean wellies/waterproofs.