Young stock represent everything about the future of your herd and with the milk price set to head in the opposite direction to the temperature gauge now has never been a better time to focus on healthy heifer production.
Successful calf rearing is not just about health, though this is a key factor, take a look at our checklist for healthy calf rearing - see whether you can answer all of the questions positively.
- Are calves born in a fresh-bedded pen?
- Is colostrum quality monitored?
- Is colostrum uptake monitored (blood test)?
- Could BVD be affecting immunity and health?
- Can excessive mixing/regrouping of calves be avoided?
- Are calf pens always well bedded and dry?
- Are calf feed troughs always clean?
- Is calf nutrition and growth performance optimal?
- Is feeding practice reviewed in cases of milk scour?
- Are cases of scour monitored for causal agents?
To discuss this in more detail, please call the practice and ask to speak to a member of the farm team - 01363 772860